Activism Environment Upriser

Chernobyl, 3 People Gave Their Lives To Prevent An Explosion 10 Times Bigger Than Hiroshima.

Stay ahead of the curve... Get top posts first!

Thank you for subscribing!

Get updates on Facebook

Their names were Alexei Ananenko, Valeri Bezpalov, and Boris Baranov. Here is the relevant section of the Chernobyl wiki article.
10x Hiroshima is a larger estimate than most I’ve seen – we don’t actually know how powerful the steam explosion that they’ve prevented would have been. Most sources I’ve read have estimated it at 5-10x the explosion that already happened at Chernobyl. The general consensus is “really fucking big explosion”.

In the original Chernobyl explosion, only 30% of the core was sent into the atmosphere. The rest melted down. The steam explosion prevented by Ananenko, Bezpalov, and Baranov would have sent the remaining 70% into the air as well. Much of surrounding Ukraine, including Kiev, would likely have had to evacuate.

[SOURCE](http://www.reddit.com/r/undelete/comments/2dq3pj/2751270_til_during_the_chernobyl_meltdown_3/)

Want our best on Facebook?

Facebook comments

“Chernobyl, 3 People Gave Their Lives To Prevent An Explosion 10 Times Bigger Than Hiroshima.”